One of the most important purchases you make for your child is their car seat. With so many brands available how do you pick the right one? Do you get the base or just use the buckle? Convertible or booster? So many options! My advice turn to The Car Seat Lady. This lady breaks it down and helps parents protect their precious cargo! Watch her videos on YouTube or follow her on FB.
Some tips to get you started via The Car Seat Cop aka Holly Wagner:
1. Don’t buy a used car seat.
2. Research one that’s right for your car and read the manual.
3. Find a certified child passenger safety technician to help install it and show you how to use it.
4. If you cannot find a tech in your area, go to http://cert.safekids.org.
5. Make sure the seat is rear-facing until the child is 2.
6. Adjust the chest clip to armpit level; at abdomen level, organs can be injured in a crash.
7. Make sure straps are snug and straight.
Janusz Liberkowski is a name I have not forgotten when it comes to the car seat struggle. His heartbreaking story about loosing his daughter in an automobile accident and inspiration to save other children from this misfortune has stuck with me every time I buckle one of my kids in. He was the winner of American Inventor on ABC and though he had partnered with Evenflo to bring his invention to market this has yet to be accomplished and the partnership has since ended. He called his safety seat the Anecia Survival Capsule after his baby girl. Here is what the prototype looked like:
The show revealed the product after some tweaking in the finale to look like this:
To see it in action check out this YouTube video (sorry I couldn’t find one in English but you don’t need to hear it to see how it works).
Not sure about all you but I would be interested in testing this possible life saving invention out!
Here is an update to this post from last month, a new company has released a prototype for a potentially lifesaving addition to the standard car seat. Check out all the details on their site Carkoon.